In automating your home, programming your garage is one of the key factors that you have to learn. You need to program your remote if you have just installed your garage door. You also need to know how to program a remote if you have other family members who need access to the garage.
Programming your remote is one of the basic knowledge that homeowners should have. As soon as you’ve installed your garage door opener, it is a must to program your remote right away for security reasons. This ensures that nobody can get inside your home without your knowledge. This also makes driving to and from your home easier.
The LiftMaster remote can be used to activate garage door openers, commercial door openers, wired-in receivers, and gate operators.
There are two ways to program your LiftMaster remote. The first one is by programing it through the learn button and the other is by using the external wired-in receiver.
Through the Learn Button
If you will be programming your remote using the learn button on your device, follow these steps:
- Find the learn button. The learn button can be found on different locations. On your garage door opener, it usually is found beside the antenna. The button may come in different colors, such as orange, yellow, green, purple, or red with an LED light next to it. On a commercial door opener or gate operator, the learn button is found on the control board with an LED light beside it. On your MyQ control panel, just lift the push bar and search for the learn button.
- Press and release button. Once you have successfully located the button, press and release it. This goes for all learn buttons except the ones on the MyQ control panel, which has to be pressed twice.
- Program the remote. Within 30 seconds of pressing the learn button, press and hold the button on your remote that you want to program for three seconds. If the programming is successful, the LED indicator beside the learn button or the operator lights will blink and turn off.
- Test the remote if it has been programmed properly. Press the programmed button to see if the opener or operator activates. If not, repeat the above steps and test again.
Through the External Wired-in Receiver
If you are programming your remote control through your external wired-in receiver, locate the receiver firs. Then follow these steps to program your remote:
- Remove the cover on the receiver. Depending on the model, you may need a flathead screwdriver to remove the face plate or the cover. Ensure that you know how to open up the receiver. You might need to reference back to your manual.
- Find the learn button. This small radio button is usually located beside the LED light. Once you’ve found it, press and release the button.
- Program your remote. Within 30 seconds of pressing the learn button, choose and press the desired button on your remote for three seconds. You will hear a clicking sound if the programming was successful.
- Test the remote. Press the button on the remote to check if it has been programmed properly. If the opener does not respond, then repeat the above steps to reprogram the remote until you are successful.
Follow these quick steps in programming your LiftMaster remote controls. Ensure that you have tested your remotes after programming. You can follow the same procedure for programming other LiftMaster remotes that you want to use for one or more garage door openers, especially if you are using multiple remotes for everyone in the family.