Once you’ve purchased and installed your garage door opener, programming the remote and the other accessories is the next step. This is necessary to start using your new home device and get things working.
There will be times, however, when you will need to reprogram your remote for various reasons. You might need to reprogram it if you lose your remote, misplace it, or if you encounter problems with garage door opener and the only option is to reset your opener and reprogram all the accessories connected to it. This is also necessary if your remote is stolen.
If you own a Genie remote, here are the easy steps to follow in reprogramming it so you can already operate your garage door opener in no time. The following steps are used if you need to forget and delete the stored information on the opener.
- Check the garage door operator. Before reprogramming your remote and your garage door opener, start the process by checking if your operator is plugged properly and that everything is in working order. This ensures that you won’t have to repeat the process all over again in case the problem lies on the power connection.
- Find the learn button. This button is usually found on the motor. Remove the cover in order to locate it. The learn button can be located beside the LED indicator. Depending on the model that you have, this might be found near the antenna of the overhead motor.
- Press and release the learn button. Once you have located the learn button, press and hold the button until the LED light stops blinking. This will take 10 seconds to complete this process. This will remove all the stored memory in the garage door opener. After you have deleted all the information, remotes and other accessories will no longer work with your opener.
- Reprogram your learn button. After erasing all the information, it is time to reprogram your opener. Press the learn button again. The LED indicator will blink twice every second.
- Select a button on your remote. Choose a button that you want to program and press it within 30 seconds after pressing the learn button. The LED indicator will flash steadily to show that the pairing has been successful. This already pairs your remote to your opener so you can use it. Repeat the process if you have more remote controls that you need to use with your garage door opener.
- Test it. Once you have programmed your remote, you have to test it out. Just press the programmed button to see if the door operates. It should activate the door smoothly if it has been correctly reprogrammed. If not, you might need to repeat the above steps. Remember to clear the path of the garage door when testing the opener. Keep kids and pets away from the garage.
If you only need to add in a new remote or accessory without removing all the other data in your opener, you can skip the first step and just start with the second step.