This article is written by Kristy Jones of aclickawayremotes.com a Garage Door Opener Store.
Programming your remote control is a basic knowledge that a homeowner should have. Whether you just installed a new garage door opener or you have new remote controls, follow this simple guide in programming your Genie or LiftMaster remote controls or transmitters:
To program your remote, ensure that it is within the frequency range of your Genie garage door opener. These steps work on most remote models. However, it might be wise to check out the manual for detailed information. Follow these simple steps in programming your remote:
- Find the learn code button. The location of the learn button might vary depending on the garage door opener model that you have. But, this button is usually found at the back of the unit near the antenna. The learn button also has an LED indicator beside it.
- Press the button. Press the learn code button and release it. After doing this, the LED indicator will blink twice.
- Program your remote. Within a few seconds of pressing the learn button, press the button on your remote that you want to program. The LED indicator on the unit will flash afterwards. Then, press the remote button again. This time the LED indicator will go out.
- Test the remote. Check if the remote has been programmed properly. To do so, test it by pressing the remote button. The door should activate once the remote is pressed. If it doesn’t, repeat the above steps and clear the garage from any obstruction or interference.
- Once you have successfully programmed one remote, repeat the steps for other remotes. You can program up to seven devices on your Genie garage door opener.
If you have a LiftMaster remote at home, you may program it in two ways: using the learn button or the external wired-in receiver.
To program through the learn button:
- Find the learn button. On your garage door opener, you can locate the learn button near the antenna. It comes in different colors depending on your opener and may be red, yellow, green, purple, or orange. There’s also an LED light beside the button. On your MyQ Control Panel, just lift the push bar so you can see the learn button. With a commercial door opener or gate operator, the learn button is found on the control board with an LED next to it.
- Press the button. Once you’ve found the learn button, press and release it. You may need to press the learn button twice for your MyQ Control Panel.
- Program your remote. Within 30 seconds, press the remote button that you want to program. The LED will turn off or the operator lights will blink to indicate that the programming has been successful.
- Test it. Press the remote button to check if it has been programmed completely. If it was, the garage door will respond and open. You have to repeat the above steps in case the door does not activate.
To program through the external wired-in receiver:
- Remove the receiver cover. The type of cover on your receiver may vary depending on your model. Sometimes, the face plate may have to be removed with a flat screwdriver. This allows you to access to the learn button which is found next to an LED.
- Press the learn button. After you’ve found the button on your receiver, press and release it.
- Program your remote. Seconds after pressing the learn button, press the remote button that you want to be programmed for three seconds. After programming the remote successfully, the receiver will click.
- Test it. After programming your remote, test it out if the operator activates. If it doesn’t, then you have to repeat the above steps.