When installing a garage door opener, you can either have it professionally installed or do it yourself. This can be a dilemma to many homeowners who are either replacing an old opener or installing a new one to a new home.
Although the DIY route can be challenging, it is something that you can do on your own.
video by https://www.youtube.com/user/ryobichannel/about
If you are still on the fence about it, here are the lessons I learned on why you should install your opener on your own:
1. Costs. Having a professional install your garage door opener can be a bit pricey. You may need to spend an extra hundred dollars or so for the installation fee aside from the price of the actual garage door opener. Installing the garage door on your own means saving that money and using it for other things instead.
2. You have the tools and time. You might initially think that you need expensive tools to install your garage door opener. However, you might already have these tools at home like the screwdrivers, clamps, wrenches, and others. If you have a day to yourself, you have enough time to get the garage door opener done. It will only take a few hours to complete this project.
3. You learn how every part works. When you install your garage door by yourself, you get familiar with its every part. This means you know how every part works. There’s no need to wonder what this screw is for or how the garage door opener works. It’s not rocket science, but there is some science to how the remote and the opener interacts to open and close the door.
4. You can fix it on your own. When you encounter a problem with your garage door opener down along the road, it’s easier for you to fix it if you were the one who installed it in the first place. You can reverse engineer the entire device and look for the issue. It’s also easier for you to replace parts and solve simple problems.
5. It is a fun experience. It might look stressful to those who have not tried being handy with tools, but it is rewarding and fun once you finally complete the project. This proves to you that you can do any home improvement project that you are set on doing.