In today’s super-connected world, everything can be networked to your internet. The home is especially one that’s most connected to the internet in the recent. The rise of Internet of Things (IoT) has led to this and so much more.
Garage door connectivity is one of the most common features in homes today. Just having a quick access through one’s phone is so convenient and gives homeowners the peace of mind that they need throughout the day.
However, does having internet connectivity an advantage to the home? Let’s dissect its pros and cons.
Here are the disadvantages of having an internet-connected garage door:
• The manufacturer can turn off your device. This has happened to some customers who own internet connectivity devices. A customer of Garadget was denied server connection because of a representative from the company thought his language was abusive because of the one-star review he left. Although this is an isolated case, this can create fear for many homeowners who would like to purchase similar products but may have their devices turned off because of an honest review.
• The security fears. This is something that people fear, as well. The internet connectivity does allow an easy access to the homeowners and possibly to other people who can hack one’s garage door system.
• It can mean extra expense. True enough, purchasing a device that connects your garage door to the internet is an extra expense. Not all garage door openers come with internet or mobile connectivity. So, you will need to spend an extra $100 or so for such device. For some, this can be a needed investment.
Here are some of the advantages of connecting your garage door to the internet:
• It’s easy to install and get connected. Just purchasing a kit that connects your garage door opener to the internet is probably the easiest way to go about this. It is also easy to install and get connected. You just have to attach the device and download the necessary mobile phone application. This will already take you to a landing page and set up your account.
• Convenience. Having internet connectivity can be convenient on your part. Through your phone, you can check the status of your garage door and if it is locked. There’s no need to go back home for the fear that you might not have closed it. The device will prompt you if it’s left open or not and you can just control your door through your phone.
• Peace of mind.If you have little kids or travel a lot due to work, an internet-connected garage door will give you the peace of mind that you need even when you’re away. If your garage door system has cameras, you can check what’s going on in your garage or entryway. Just being able to know the status of your home or garage any-time and anywhere lets you focus on what matters. You can also give access to family members or caretakers who need to get in your home through your garage door. It’s easy once you have this feature installed.
• Added security.An extra internet connectivity on your garage door also beefs up your home security. You get notified whenever your garage door is open or closed. You can also allow strict access to your home even if you’re not at home. This ensures that your home and property is safe all the time.
The key to choosing what’s right for you and your family is to balance the disadvantages and advantages. Find what works for your family and for the lifestyle that you have. For those with other members of the family using the garage door, this might also be something that you can discuss with your family before purchasing. If the pros outweigh the cons, then go ahead and purchase one. What’s important is to always call and inform the manufacturer in case you’re having some issues.