Getting the bang for your buck is important for almost every purchase. Nobody wants to be ripped off, especially if it is a major purchase. Making sure that your buying decision is sound and rational is a must. This means sticking to your budget while getting the best features for your money.
If you are on the hunt for a secure garage door opener, your budget is the first thing to consider. Here’s your guide in finding what works for you without sacrificing your home’s security:
Identify how much you are willing to spend.
• If you already have an existing garage door opener in your home, then you already know how much these cost. Openers can start at $100 up to even $1,000 or higher depending on the model and build. So be clear on how much you can spend on a new garage door opener and what your maximum amount is. This allows you to be clear on whatever it is that you can afford. Just work with this budget when scouring through the different garage door openers that are available in the market. Find those that are within your working budget and work from there.
What type of opener do you need?
• Your garage door opener will vary depending on your house and the garage that you have. If you have a larger and heavier garage door, you might need a more powerful opener. Check the horsepower of the model and see if it fits your garage. For heavy garage doors, ¾ HP or 1 HP models are more ideal. There are also three garage door types that you should consider. The belt-drive system is the quietest opener and is the most common choice for homeowners. The chain drive, on the other hand, is considered the most affordable and relies on a metal chain to pull the door. This tends to be a noisy opener and will not work for those with bedrooms above the garage. The screw-drive system is a reliable opener with only one moving part. This has less maintenance and is easy to fix.
Look at the security features.
• Since your priority is the security features, this is the next thing you need to inspect. Your garage door opener should keep your home and your car safe through the night and even on the days when you are not around. This is also your first line of defense against burglars. Most openers already come with remote controls which allow you to open and drive up to your garage without a sweat. Others already come with smartphone connectivity that lets you control your garage door whenever wherever. This also prompts you every time your garage door is opened. Depending on your security needs, choose an opener that lets you have full control of your home even when you are away.
Shop for reviews.
• Check out what other homeowners who have bought and what they have to say about those openers that you have your eyes on. This is a great way to find the perfect fit and know the experience of other people. Compare the ratings and find out which opener has more positive reviews. You may also ask our friends and family for their recommendations.
Check online for bargains.
• If your budget is really tight, you might consider checking out online for more affordable garage door openers. Since online stores do not have a physical location, they tend to sell their items at a discounted price compared to bring and mortar stores. You can save a few dollars from buying online which you can use in purchasing other security accessories for your garage door opener.